As I was brain storming this recipe I really debated on frying these taquitos because some days a girl just has to get her fried fix somewhere. Am I right? What can I say it’s my weakness, but luckily for the calorie count below and for my tummy I decided to bake these and honestly I’m glad I did. They’re still just as crunchy on the outside while creamy on the inside. It’s much lighter and you won’t feel bad going back for seconds, or thirds!
It wasn’t until my later years that I started loving spicy food. When I used to eat chicken wings I would get them very mild or sweet with a teriyaki sauce because I couldn’t handle anything more. When I started to cut out meat I began craving anything buffalo, like anything. I got lost into the Pinterest abyss, felt inspired, and I came up with a few recipes that are on my blog already and have yet to come in the future.
It wasn’t until recently that I tried a taquito because most of them are filled with meat and cheese and I hate cheese. So when I recently tried a vegan version I was hooked. I will make these at every party, because they’re a hit. No cheese or cream needed because they’re creamy enough on their own. They’re not too spicy but just spicy enough. I dare you to try these, they’re highly addictive and you’ll keep coming back for more!
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 taco shells
- 1 roma tomato chopped (optional)
- vegan cheese (optional)
- green onion (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place all the ingredients in the food processor except the taco shells and pulse a few times. You want the consistency to be roughly chopped
- Spoon the mixture into the taco shells and wrap them up
- Place the taquitos on a greased baking pan and rub each taquito with a little olive oil
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip them then bake for 5 more minutes
- Top and serve with roma tomatoes, vegan cheese, and/or green onion
Find the recipe for vegan cheese HERE