A little deli recently opened up down the street and all they sell are chicken salad sandwiches. I’m not a huge fan of chicken and I’m highly opposed to anything white and creamy. I know it sounds crazy but mayo and I have never been friends. I’ve heard all about this restaurant from friends and family raving about how good it was and it inspired me to make this delicious sandwich. Sandwiches and salads are like the go-to for every work or school lunch. I don’t know about you but I get pretty sick of having salads and sandwiches all the time especially if they’re boring. A sandwich should be exciting, healthy and guiltless. So I’ve come up with an alternative. This is my chickpea salad sandwich, fully loaded, and just as good as any fancy chicken salad sandwich from a deli.
There are a few different parts to this sandwich. Starting with the chickpea salad you’ve got avocado in place of mayonnaise and inside you’ll find celery, carrots, and even hot sauce for some kick. It’s topped with smoky almonds toasted with chipotle powder and garlic. Complete with a smear of your favorite mustard, tomato, and onion. With one bite of this healthy sandwich you’ll be addicted and everyone will want a try. Plant based sandwiches don’t lack on flavor and I would choose this over a chicken salad sandwich any day.
- 1 15oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ red onion chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk chopped finely
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices of multigrain bread
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- sliced red onion (optional)
- In a food processor pulse the chickpeas, avocado, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix in the chopped red onion and celery
- In a small bowl mix together the almonds, olive oil, chipotle and garlic powder
- Assemble the sandwich with chickpea mixture, almond mixture, tomatoes and red onion between two pieces of bread.