When someone tells you something is forbidden that just makes you want it more doesn’t it? At least that’s how it works for me anyway. This rice bowl is an untraditional breakfast for me. I’m not used to eating rice for breakfast, is that even a thing? Well now it is. Forbidden rice is my new favorite superfood. It’s absolutely beautiful and extremely healthy. Do you know why they call it forbidden rice? Apparently it’s because long ago it was only meant to be eaten by Chinese emperors and it was forbidden from the common people. It was supposed to keep him healthy and youthful from being rich in anthocyanin (a really awesome antioxidant that gives food its naturally dark color). Isn’t it awesome how we get to eat emperors? I think so.
So back to eating rice for breakfast. I am obsessed. It’s warm and soul soothing and perfect for wintery weather. It’s very filling and it’s perfect for the mornings where you’re feeling sick of oatmeal. It’s nice to change things up every now and then. I personally make mine a night or two ahead of time and then microwave it either when I get to school or before I leave so I can eat it on the way, it all just depends on how my stomach is behaving. Basically, it’s better warm because it’s cooked in coconut milk which solidifies when cold. Enjoy this with a handful of berries and even mango for a color pop. Indulge in all of the antioxidants and enjoy your morning!
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup black forbidden rice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Optional: berries and mango
- In a small sauce pan bring the coconut milk and water to a boil.
- Pour the black forbidden rice in and turn the heat down to low and simmer with the lid on for 20-30 minutes until the rice is cooked. If it needs to cook longer add a touch more water and continue to steam until the rice is cooked.
- When it’s done place into a bowl and fold in 1 tablespoon of honey and top with berries and mango.