Sometimes the perfect way to spend your evening is by sipping on soup. Especially on those rainy days which are very much needed here in hot humid South Carolina. When I’m meal planning, it’s not often that I buy kale but when I do I like to either make chips out of them or add them to soup. Kale is my preferred green in soup because it doesn’t wilt very quickly like spinach and others do. I have a quick little tip for you, the longer you wait to put the kale it the more it will preserve its beautiful green color. Many times cooking greens for too long can take away that green vibrancy and make for a dish that’s not too appealing to the eye so keep that in mind when you make this and any other green!
The combination of kale, lentils, potatoes in a soup just hits home for me like the perfect comfort food. A little squeeze of lemon here and some tomatoes there make this soup absolutely perfect.
As always it wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t add some fresh herbs from the garden and that’s exactly what I did. My new favorite herb is purple basil because it’s gorgeous and vibrant and the flavor is spot on. Along with this basil I added fresh thyme as well. I always hate giving exact measurements of herbs because I think that’s all preference, like with salt, some people prefer more and others prefer less. I happen to be someone who loves herbs so much I just take handfuls. Okay maybe that’s an exaggeration but you get what I mean. On another note I’m really excited for you guys to try this healthy fiber filled soup. It will do the heart good.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ lemon juiced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup lentils
- 2 cups kale chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Basil and thyme
- In a pot sauté the onion, garlic, red pepper, celery and carrots for about 3-5 minutes
- Add the chopped potatoes, paprika, chili powder, lemon juice stir until the seasonings evenly coat the veggies then add the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil
- Boil the soup for about 5-7 minutes then add the lentils, bring to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes
- In the last five minutes of cooking add the chopped kale and fresh herbs. Serve warm.