*Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links which means we get paid a small commission when you purchase an item. This helps us keep the blog up and running.
If you ask me at any given day where I want to go to eat, 95% of the time I will say sushi. It’s so fresh and delicious. I just applaud those sushi chefs every time I go because making sushi is an art. While it’s tedious and intricately done I assure you, you can have sushi right there in your own home with a little bit of practice. I use the Sushi Bazooka, it makes rolling sushi so easy and I highly recommend it for beginners. I will make a post soon about how it works and how to roll sushi with it but the instructions below will apply to those using a bamboo sushi mat and rolling by hand since that’s what most people are familiar with.
There’s a few technical details I need to share with you before we get started. Something that I like to do when I’m cutting my sushi is wet my knife in between each cut, this not only cleans it but it keeps the rice and nori from sticking to my knife as I slice which creates the perfect roll. Another thing I do is let the roll sit for 2-3 minutes to let the nori soften a bit which also makes it much easier to cut. If this is your first time making sushi have patience! I messed up so many times, by the end of the night I ended up eating a few deconstructed rolls because I had no idea what I was doing. I recommend you watch a few YouTube videos before you try it out. They help tremendously.
Now onto the actual recipe! With so many different possible combinations of sushi I definitely see more sushi recipes appearing on the blog in the future. For today, I’ve put together a sweet potato and green onion roll with a honey chipotle sauce for dipping. It’s sweet, spicy, and smoky! It’s perfect as an appetizer for a backyard barbecue or even dinner one night that you’re feeling creative in the kitchen. Leftovers can also be taken for lunch, which is what I’ve done with mine! This roll may seem simple but when paired with the chipotle, you’re going to see sweet potato in an entirely new way. Get out there and show everyone your new sushi making skills and try out this delicious vegan roll.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 green onion with the ends sliced off
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3-4 nori sheets
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Slice the sweet potato into small french fries, they don’t have to be perfect, you can fix them later, lather them in 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Bake for 15 minutes until they’ve softened a bit
- Prepare your sushi rice by adding white vinegar and sugar and stir until well combined
- Assemble the roll
- In a small food processor combine all the ingredients and pulse until the chipotle pepper is chopped small
- To assemble the sushi
- Center the nori onto a bamboo sushi mat. Wet your hands and spread a thin layer of rice onto the nori. Assemble 3-4 sweet potato fries (depending how large you cut them) and 1-2 green onion onto one side of the nori.
- Lift the end of the mat and roll it over the ingredients pressing gently to secure them inside. Continue rolling forward to complete the roll and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Wet a sharp knife and slice to cut your sushi and serve with the chipotle honey sauce